ElectroClassic EV
Classic Cars Reborn into the Electric Future

Undercoat and Paint – Odds and Ends

The last bit of undercoating that needed finishing was the floor pan.  The prior round of exterior undercoating focused only on the difficult nooks and crannies of the wheel, bumper, motor and suspension cavities.  The flat and accessible surface of the floor pan was saved for later when I had more time, which happened this last weekend.  Above is a shot of the floor pan before starting, after all of the dirt and dust had been wire brushed away.  The borders of the prior undercoating can be seen on the rocker panel at top frame.

.

Here’s a look at the undercoating in progress.  Newspaper and blue painter’s tape were used to mask off any areas that had already been covered, and to protect the exterior paint from overspray.  The jackstands were also masked off.  They are pre-owned CraigsList items, but I paid good money for them and don’t want them destroyed.  Although my first choice of undercoating is 3M, their distributor FinishMaster closes early on Sunday, so I settled for what was available at the local auto stores.  That’s a can of Dupli-Color rubberized undercoating in the shot above which should work fine.  Here’s a link to my earlier undercoating shootout, and another conducted by Maui Electric Vehicles.

.

Pictured above is the finished floor pan.  I could now mount the wheels and lower the car, but keeping it in the air makes everything so much easier to work on.  Especially when I remove the bumpers to have the mounting holes for the rubber overriders welded closed.  They call them tits.  “Lose the tits,” they say.

.

While my spray nozzle finger was warm, I decided to paint the engine lid rain well and grill.  Since I was painting over new clear-coat, I scuffed it first with a green scrubby pad, making sure to reach into all of the dimples for good adhesion.  Then I masked with tape and newspaper, and gave it a few coats of satin black.

.

Here is the finished assembled product.  The grill is made of fairly pliable metal, so I spent a few minutes smoothing out the mesh, straightening the bumps and dents by hand.  Once it was even, it got a thorough once-over with a scrubbing pad, and then a couple coats of satin black.  This will look sweet with the Porsche lettering installed.

Advertisements

No Responses to “Undercoat and Paint – Odds and Ends”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: